Swimming is a great way to cool off on warm summer days, and swimming with your dogs is even greater fun. If you are a pet parent, you’ll need to watch out for your dogs when they’re by the pool or at the lake, especially if you own smaller breeds like terriers, Yorkies, Maltese, or Shih Tzus. Dogs like pugs, Chihuahuas, and poodles are known to have an aversion to water. While some of them can and do swim, their bodies and disposition are just not made for swimming.
Can Morkies Swim? If you have a Morkie- the adorable cross between the Maltese and the Yorkshire terrier, and if you are wondering if they can swim, the short answer would be yes. Technically, most Morkies can and do swim.
But the question you need to ask is if your Morkie can swim and if he likes to.
Are they Predisposed to Swimming?
Let’s take a look at the Yorkshire terrier and the Maltese.
Both parents of the Morkie- or the Morkshire Terrier, as it is also called- are small, energetic, and friendly lapdogs. Both of them are good swimmers, varying only by a few degrees in terms of skill.
So What about the Morkie?
Morkie fluff-balls weigh between seven to 13 pounds…wet. They have a sleek body, are light boned, and are slight of build. These are all advantageous characteristics in the occasion that they do swim. Their fur is aerodynamic, isn’t thick or heavy, which means that unlike some dogs, they do not have double coats of fur that will weigh them down when swimming.
Most people assume that dogs are natural swimmers. They are not, so don’t toss them in like your father tossed you in and expected you to learn ‘on your feet.’ While Morkies are capable of swimming, there are signs and symptoms that you need to look out for as their breed is known for specific health issues that could be triggered because of swimming like arthritis, rheumatism, and chills.
How to tell if YOUR Morkie can swim
You need to look out for your Morkie and watch to see how he takes to the water.
Keep an eagle eye out to see if your Morkie shows hesitancy to get into the water or is nervous around all water bodies in general. An excellent way to check if he is fond of water is to see how he behaves during bath-time.
Does he love to wade around and play in the tub? Congratulations, your Morkie can swim.
Does he show signs of anxiety or get agitated or snips at you when you’re giving a bath? There’s a good chance your Morkie doesn’t like the water or to swim.
Things you can do to see if your Morkie can Swim
1. Consider starting your Morkie off in a kiddie pool to see if he takes to the water. Morkies, in general, are a breed known for being hyperactive and curious, and they love a challenge, so your Morkie might dive headfirst into the water. Geronimo!!
2. You need to gradually introduce them to the water by cradling their bodies and letting them float but in the palm of your hands. So always get into the water with your pet.
3. Check to make sure the temperature isn’t too hot or cold. Ideally, 80 degrees Fahrenheit or 26 degrees Celsius should do the trick. When it’s hot outside, the air might be warm, but the water tends to be much, much cooler, and your Morkie might be okay with the water, but he will not be okay catching a cold.
4. Consider placing a life vest on your Morkie, not just for safety but also to make sure he doesn’t tire himself out by paddling around too much. He’s a small dog and can get tired quickly.
5. It would be best to keep an eye out to make sure he doesn’t struggle or drown. Once your Morkie is up and about and you’ve determined that they’re good swimmers, both you and your Morkie can kick back and enjoy the water.
6. Don’t let your Morkie swim in lakes or ponds. He’s a tiny dog, and there’s a good chance that he’ll struggle, or worse, get into a scuffle with something bigger than him in the water…a duckling perhaps?
7. Look for whining. Is your Morkie making low whimpers or other signs of distress? That’s him telling you he either doesn’t like the water or doesn’t want to swim anymore. It might be a good time to take a break from the swim lessons. If his whimpers and whines persist, take him to a wet to get checked out.
Tips to Keep Your Morkie Safe and Healthy when Swimming
- You might find this odd, I know I did, but it’s advisable to apply sunscreen on your Morkie. His coat does not protect him from sunburns, so don’t skimp on the sunscreen. You can buy dog-friendly sunscreen at the pet store or use something your vet prescribes, particularly for your Morkie.
- Make sure to rinse your Morkie’s coat after he swims and check his skin for any dryness or redness from the chlorine. Freshwater bodies are the best for him to swim in. Invest in a kiddie pool if your Morkie particularly loves the water.
- Towel your Morkie dry thoroughly and gently, after he’s done swimming. You cannot leave him to air dry, as this will trigger chills. His body is too small to produce enough body warmth, so pat him down and keep him warm, maybe with a warm or heated blanket. He is your baby, after all.
- It would be wise to talk to an experienced trainer, or a vet, or even a friend who owns dogs to see what you can do,
The Verdict? Can Morkies Swim?
The verdict’s still out on whether all Morkies can swim. Like other breeds, some of them can and do, some of them can but don’t like to, and some of them can’t swim at all. If your Morkie falls into the water, he will probably paddle to stay alive, but that doesn’t mean he likes frequent trips to the pool. Every dog is different. Use the tips and signs that we’ve covered in this article to keep an eye out for whether your Morkie can swim or not.
Gifts for Dog Lovers
Do you know someone who loves their dog more than anything?
Then they’ll love these gifts! From kitchen accessories to stylish jewelry, we’ve got everything a pup lover could want.
Our selection of gifts for dog lovers is sure to have something perfect for the special person in your life.
Head over to our list of 50 Pawsome Gift Ideas for Dog Lovers to find that perfect gift!
More info on Morkies
- Why Does My Morkie Smell? When Things Run Afoul
- Do Morkies Have Docked Tails? The Facts & The Tales
- Can Morkies Be Left Alone? All You Need to Know
- Are Morkies Hypoallergenic? An Allergy Sufferers Guide
- Why Do Morkies Change Color? All You Need to Know
- What Can Morkies Eat? Best Food + Treats For this Toy Breed
- Do Morkies Get Cold?
- Do Morkies Bark A Lot?
- How Long Do Morkies Sleep?
- Are Morkies Good Family Dogs?
- The Morkie Temperament [All You Need to Know]
- Why Do Morkies Lick So Much?
- Do Morkies Have Tear Stains?